This qualification reflects the role of workers participating in the design, implementation and evaluation of leisure, health activities and programs for clients in one or more sector areas.
Workers may be in residential facilities and/or in community agencies and day centres, completing specialised tasks and functions in relation to leisure and health. While workers are responsible for their own outputs, work is carried out under direct or indirect supervision within defined organisation guidelines.
The Certificate IV in Leisure and Health allows you to assess the human behaviour of those requiring support and implement leisure activities or programs to support their everyday lives. These programs focus on initiatives that are beyond clinical care and aim to be interactive, recreational and health related activities.
Are you ready to begin a meaningful career and care for others in need? With Government funding now available for study (subject to eligibility); there has never been a better time!
This program offers pathways into CHC52015 Diploma in Community Services
Current & Previous Students have also enrolled into the following to broaden employment opportunities: CHC43015 Certificate IV in Ageing Support or CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability
At InterCare Training we want to ensure that you have a fun and enjoyable learning experience, it is because of this that we offer a range of flexible training delivery and assessment models to meet each individuals needs.
- Develop foundation knowledge and understanding to work effectively and confidently in the leisure and health industry.
- Develop skills, knowledge and experience to assist with the design, implementation and evaluation of leisure and health programs.
- Develop skills to enhance the well-being of people with a variety of needs.
- Develop skills to continuously improve the work environment, for the benefit of clients, co-workers, organisation and self.
- Develop cultural awareness and respectful practices
Why study in the Community Services industry
InterCare video transcript: Why Study in the Community Services Industry
G: I went to work in the Service Industry because I care about people.
D: I chose this course as I wanted to help the community.
S: The most that I was hoping to achieve out of being in the Community Services area was certainly to give back to the community.
G: I come from IT background and that’s dealing mainly with machines and it’s getting closer to people.
D: I actually have a background in retail but I wanted to change my career. This was the best time for me to do it as the kids have got an older
S: I was in Sales and Marketing and Customer Service for the last 35 years. And back in January, I was laid off my job.
DN: They’ve got to that situation. Where, “What am I going to do?” “I’ve been doing this for 30 years. What am I going to do now?” All we can do is give them the options, give them me explanations that they made, give them the reassurance. And then the decision is up to them. But I tell them. They’ve got to have the passion for the industry.
JS: If I’m going to put my mother or my dad into care. If you are going to look after my parents but you don’t have emotionally, you don’t feel anything. There’s no point.
DN: If I train you, would I like you looking after somebody I love? And that’s always a good indication to me.
D: I’m happy now. I can go out and get the career that I’ve always wanted. To help people and help the community. Inter Care makes the transition such a breeze. It’s amazing.
S: For anyone that’s contemplating studying I certainly would say, go for it. You have the best support and the advice that I would give is certainly just give it a go. You won’t be disappointed.
Potential future job roles
This course prepares you to work in job roles such as:
|•||Activities Officer||•||Community Leisure Officer|
|•||Disability Officer – Day Support||•||Diversional Therapy Assistant|
|•||Leisure Officer||•||Recreational Activities Officer|
There are no pre-requisite qualifications for entry into this qualification, InterCare Training will ensure Pre Training Review processes are in place to promote suitable and appropriate course enrolments and to protect prospective students prior to enrolling into this training product from being disadvantaged by the inability to meet the AQF level required.
A national Police clearance is required before the placement component can be undertaken.
A national Working with Children Check is required before the placement component can be undertaken – if undertaken in the Disability sector
A national NDIS Worker Screening Check is required before the placement component can be undertaken – if undertaken in the Disability sector
Evidence of some vaccinations is also a requirement including but not limited to influenza (flu) vaccination, COVID vaccination prior to the placement component.
Your CHC43415 Certificate IV in Leisure and Health will include the below:
- Total number of units = 17
- 10 core units
- 7 elective units
See full packaging requirements for CHC43415 Certificate IV in Leisure and Health (https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/CHC43415)
Pathways to employment
- Core unit theory and essential knowledge component is delivered in the classroom or via zoom (virtual class)
- The practical skills will be developed through dedicated lab days and practical simulations under supervision over a specified period of time
- Demonstration of knowledge through written answers and projects
- Demonstration of workplace skills and knowledge through practical placement based around workplace activities
2. Work placement
120 hours: 7am to 3pm
Typically 3 week period
- The practical skills will be developed on the job during the placement component with an Aged Care or Disability Provider under supervision over a specified period of time
- Assessment of practical skills will be assessed on during the placement component
3. Support & post-placement review
InterCare Alumni automatically access the benefits of our InterCare Staffing and Employment services and become priority candidates for roles being recruited for.